Back to Legal Terms >

Summons and Complaint

The Summons and Complaint are two of the three legal documents that are used to start a divorce, separation or annulment in Connecticut. These two documents, along with the Notice of Automatic Orders, are filed by the person starting the legal action. In Connecticut the person who starts the legal action is called the Plaintiff. In a litigated divorce these papers are typically served by a marshal on your spouse. In the mediation and collaborative processes we can usually avoid the marshal service (and the marshal fee).